Monday 7 May 2012

Well, this is my first post on my new blog and I'm feeling quite excited AND intimidated. I am also launching my new website in the next week so it's all steam ahead!
I decided to make a blog because I've discovered that I needed a forum for my thoughts and I wanted to share them with you to get feedback and inspiration.

For those of you who don't know anything about Genealogy, I'm hoping that this blog opens up the wonderful world of discovering your family history to you. It's an amazing trip but I warn you- it's addictive! I started 30 years ago and the one thing I discovered (much to my delight) is that it never ends.

 In this photo there I have a great, great-great, and a great-great-great grandfather!

This is a family reunion shot the shows family members finding themselves on a chart.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to details which is a good thing in this business. It also helps that the detective type of research involved in genealogy is fun for me. When you spend hours, weeks, or even years searching for that 1 piece of information that will solve a mystery, it's like winning a lottery. The excitement is unexplainable. The funny thing is, that most people don't get it. My favourite line I've heard is when someone finds out what I do is " You research dead people?"...hahaha. I find that there are 3 types of people out there when it comes to genealogy; the ones that are totally uninterested in their ancestors and don't care, the ones that never thought about it and would like to find out and the ones who are fascinated and feel the need to know where they came from, how they got here, to this place and who the people in their past where...what their names were, where they lived, and what they did for a living.

Some families have fascinating famous ancestors with life stories that you could make a movie out of, while others lead quiet lives working on farms and struggled to survive. Either way, the families have a story. A story worth telling about lives worth living to bring us to where we are today, and that's why I do what I do. To honour these people and to leave a legacy for the ones living today to give to their children and grandchildren. I feel we should never forget where we came from. There are cultures that honour their ancestors, like the Native Americans, some African countries, some Asian countries and even European and Mexicans who celebrate the Day of the Dead.

I'm going to share with you how to start searching, how to connect with elderly relatives to get information and you can join me on my journey as I travel through other people's histories. It's so much fun, and I hope you come along for the ride!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new site Sandra. You have so much passion in your writings. I love it! Look forward to reading more with each post.

    ReplyDelete